The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#301   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 13-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: So - an opinion - tiltys and prices !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebackblade View Post
Eddie actually suggested that all guys buying this setup are given the opportunity in the alternative and then sign a form to state they had been made fully aware.

Someone just someone may see Iím not trying to force everyone to have a 4 pipe system. I maintain that better educated most would choose it.

Absolutely agree on the buyback too, it was suggested an awful long time ago now!

Eddie.
Fair enough. The thread moved a bit quick for me to keep up! Nice to see some life in the forum for a bit

If I were buying a larger machine I'd spec four pipes for sure. That's true tilty 'swap, plug and play'
  #302   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 13-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
To be fare Robert, if you can remember back to about 2 years ago myself and Eddie suggested to you that there should be a 4 pipe system to get people into a unit, something that will start them off in the right direction, and where "the range" came in. A unit to suit what you do, but also hold good money. And the reason for suggesting that was because at all the shows, the full system was always demonstrated and there was nothing for the first time buyer.
Remember it well, Ollie, and the input that you, Eddie, Rob, Shaun and others have given over the years has been invaluable. There is 'a range' and the 4 pipe system that Eddie suggested is there. Something for everyone, if you like. All I've done is add something else to the start of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
I stand by my analysis that resale of a basic unit will be the same percentage if not more of a full setup. Engcon could offer a buy back of a certain % when buying a better Engconn unit later- it would make sense for them. Anything that drives the introduction forward has to be a good thing. Most likely all the concerns over a race to the bottom will be left by the wayside in a few years when it's all driveless machines anyway
We do it anyway, Doob. As I said at the start of this thread (to Rory, I think), I can't get enough S/H units and anyone wishing to P/Ex one of our units for a new variant is always welcome.

Quote:
Eddie actually suggested that all guys buying this setup are given the opportunity in the alternative and then sign a form to state they had been made fully aware.

Someone just someone may see Iím not trying to force everyone to have a 4 pipe system. I maintain that better educated most would choose it.

Absolutely agree on the buyback too, it was suggested an awful long time ago now!

Eddie.
There's a medical expression (I think) called 'Informed Consent'. Ollie and Eddie are right to champion the full control and 4 pipe systems, but if someone does really want a button and pedal system with a mechanical hitch, then we will go through the options (as we have done with Shaun) and make it clear what it can and can't do. I get the sense from the feedback here that, if Shaun decides to trade up in a couple of year's time, I'll have no problem supplying a well-loved (and Engcon-refurbished) S/H EC02 for a budding Tilty newbie.

regards

Robert
  #303   IP: 86.132.10.12
Old 13-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Knight of the East and West

These Scandinavian guys are apparently charging far higher rates for their work, but is that just a reflection of their general economy, or do their customers genuinely put higher value on their services than uk customers do?
  #304   IP: 86.132.10.12
Old 13-02-2018, 09:24 AM

What kind of hours is a tilty thing good for, before it becomes uneconomical to repair? Letís assume itís been well looked after.
  #305   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 13-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
These Scandinavian guys are apparently charging far higher rates for their work, but is that just a reflection of their general economy, or do their customers genuinely put higher value on their services than uk customers do?
I'd say Scandinavian economy. Ever bought a round of drinks in Norway?
  #306   IP: 213.205.242.101
Old 13-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngconUK View Post
Remember it well, Ollie, and the input that you, Eddie, Rob, Shaun and others have given over the years has been invaluable. There is 'a range' and the 4 pipe system that Eddie suggested is there. Something for everyone, if you like. All I've done is add something else to the start of it

We do it anyway, Doob. As I said at the start of this thread (to Rory, I think), I can't get enough S/H units and anyone wishing to P/Ex one of our units for a new variant is always welcome.

There's a medical expression (I think) called 'Informed Consent'. Ollie and Eddie are right to champion the full control and 4 pipe systems, but if someone does really want a button and pedal system with a mechanical hitch, then we will go through the options (as we have done with Shaun) and make it clear what it can and can't do. I get the sense from the feedback here that, if Shaun decides to trade up in a couple of year's time, I'll have no problem supplying a well-loved (and Engcon-refurbished) S/H EC02 for a budding Tilty newbie.

regards

Robert
The guys said heís never operated another setup and I see that as massive failing in your education of Clients Robert.

One thing is for certain and the only reason I have for posting on this thread is thereís going to be guys coming now hopefully wanting to try all setups and gain as bigger picture by asking the relevant questions at your Open Day, Iím certain youíre gearing up to provide this and I applaud your efforts with such events.

Eddie.
  #307   IP: 213.205.242.101
Old 13-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
What kind of hours is a tilty thing good for, before it becomes uneconomical to repair? Letís assume itís been well looked after.
Triggers Broom, end of really. Three machines easy.

My original unit from the intial Wide Boy thrread has done some 8 years or so now and is still in daily front line use with Grabs and Tree Shears etc. I did enough to kill lesser attachments in the time I had it.

Eddie.
  #308   IP: 178.100.236.62
Old 13-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
The customer puts a higher value on the service that you can give. And that starts from day one. If you decide to go down the machine route, it is a 5 year process, 3 years at college and then a 2 year apprenticeship. Rather than the 5 hour and you qualified route that happens over here. Bit like a plumber/sparky etc.
  #309   IP: 178.100.236.62
Old 13-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
What kind of hours is a tilty thing good for, before it becomes uneconomical to repair? Let’s assume it’s been well looked after.
http://engcon.com/us/owning-an-engco...-jaatinen.html

If you go through the old archives of engcon brochures from back in the day, there is a lot of testiments for how long a well looked after unit will go for.

http://engcon.com/us/owning-an-engco...stroms-ab.html

Last edited by komatsu; 13-02-2018 at 10:45 AM.
  #310   IP: 86.132.10.12
Old 13-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The guy has stated heís purchased and never operated the other setup. I have said before, thatís fine until he actually gets his hands on another setup or wants to use something like a grab.

This again is one of my main points, Engcon not properly educating guys before they have purchased to ensure they are Fully aware of what theyíve passed over.

You never get it that Iím for guys getting the very best for their money even if they have to save a bit more?
Penny did drop with ĎSí type, and perhaps I may yet be proved totally wrong with this.
The fact Rototilt and I suspect Steelwrist are stuck at exactly the same point Iím making gives me a little confidence.

Youíre plainly a straight pounds shilling pence, the bottom line is the bottom line guy. I thoroughly recommended you go like many others to such open days and get yourself a better grasp of some of the concepts discussed here.
Iím a lot further down the Tilty road with most and only try to convey back mistakes Iíve made or things that Iíd do different.
Plainly all guys selling Tiltyís face some serious headache on a daily basis.

Eddie.
If I was living in my machine, and doing your kind of work Eddie, then Iíd probably go for the same setup as you have. For myself, I couldnít financially justify any kind of tilty, because I simply donít get the seat time to warrant it (thatís not to say I wonít end up treating myself though).

When I left school, I piloted an MF 135- a most basic tractor. I donít get too involved in tractors these days, but modern machines are highly sophisticated, with complex transmissions, touchscreen technology, satellite link-ups and the rest. Such things all have their uses, but it comes at a price, which is becoming evermore out of sync with the profitability of the industry; weíre talking about the law of diminishing returns again.

For me, in my circumstances, the only extras I need in a tractor to that first 135, are power steering, a forward/reverse shuttle, decent brakes, a couple of spool valves, and another 5hp. Iím not one for electronics, because Iíve seen too many expensive machines bought to a standstill due to a loose wire thatís taken days to locate: I just donít need that kind of hassle for the few hours a week that Iím in the seat.

Iím straying off topic a bit here, and itís not the best analogy. Iím just saying that for some people, in some circumstances, lessor setups will probably serve them well. For me, with my old JCB 8060, just a tilt bucket would be a revaluation, Iím sure. I wouldnít want to invest much more in such a low value machine, given my limited usage.

Personally, If I was inclined to buy a tilty, then Iíd be putting it on a fresh machine, that was already equipped with four pipes.